Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lunch in the Bastia countryside

This past Saturday, Umbra held an optional field trip for those who were interested in having lunch in the countryside.  I mean who wouldn't want to eat a 5-course meal and drink wine on a gorgeous summer day in the hills of Bastia?  A bus full of Umbra students decided to embark on this eating journey. For about 2 or 3 hours, we sat and ate.  I'm not kidding...I felt my shorts slowly get tighter and tighter around my midsection.  Holy cow I haven't eaten that much is so long!  But hey, saying it was delicious doesn't it even give the food justice.  It was beyond any adjective used to describe food.  And it was free--perfecto! If it's free, it's for me!


Let me give you a run down of what I consumed in those 3 hours:
  • Vino duh!

  • Antipasto: fresh prosciutto, melted Gouda on bread, cabbage salad on bread, green salad, roasted tomato and eggplant, ricotta with honey and a walnut on top, roasted potato, quiche, chocolate croissant (I think...couldn't quite tell!) 

  • Gnocci with mushrooms and possibly onions in a cream sauce
Trust me, it looked better before I ate it!

  • Thick spaghetti in a red sauce with sausage and panchetta (whoops, sorry...didn't get a chance to snap a picture of that one!)
  • A thick slice of pork with roasted potatoes

  • Rich and decadent chocolate cake with a pear glaze (At least that's what it looked like)

  • Expresso

I savored every bite! You don't get many chances to be served a 5-course meal in the middle of the beautiful Umbria countryside.


We could see Assisi in the distance!



Here is a pic of some Conn Coll Camel lovin!

Jayne, Katie, Me



This weekend I am going to the Almalfi Coast with Umbra...get pumped for some absolutely incredible pictures!!

Ciao!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment