Monday, October 10, 2011

Cinque Terre

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to travel to Cinque Terre and hike through it's 5 main towns.  My friend Alex and I started at the top, Monterosso, and worked our way down through the towns, ending in Riomaggiore. The nature of Cinque Terre is beyond beautiful and I want to show you through my many pictures from my trip.  I will try and explain what I saw and what it looked like, but I think you all would get a much better appreciation of such a place through my amazing photos!

Let me begin by saying that the sea water throughout Cinque Terre was the most gorgeous color turquoise I ever seen!  I did not know that water could be such a true blue color.  Also, the water is crystal clear-you can see for meters below the surface.

FYI! The order in which we proceeded through the towns are as follows: Monterosso-Vernazza-Corniglia-Manarola-Riomaggiore.  We hiked for 1hr 30mins to Vernazza, another 1hr 30mins to Corniglia, Corniglia to Manarola was closed so we took the train to Manarola, and then hiked 30mins to Riomaggiore.  In total, we hiked for 3hr 30mins! The hike to Riomaggiore is less of a hike and more of a stroll along a boardwalk.  It is called Via Dell'Amore, or "Lovers Walk".  Along this walk there are locks, bows, ties, etc that symbolize lovers who have made this walk together.  Very romantic!

 I am so proud of myself-I had a weekend full of adventures.  I camped the first night, hiked all day Saturday, and swam in the sea again! Quite the experience!

Camping La Sfinge

Scrimp Scampi-quite a surprise when my dish was brought over to me!

Sunset in La Spezia





Monterosso



Turquoise water



One of the tiny trails we had to walk through...

SO MANY STAIRS!




Alex & I



Lots of agriculture

Vernazza




Cactus

Via dell'Amore

Via dell'Amore


I was feeling artsy...


Sunset in Riomaggiore




Riomaggiore

Ciao!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment